¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Delayed

Hey all! So here's the scoop. Spencer was supposed to leave for Oaxaca this coming Monday (May 17), but he's been delayed.

"we're supposed to leave monday at 3 AM but only two guys in the district have their visas and i'm not one of them :( and there's a rumor that the consalate place workers are on vacation for two weeks so... not sure whats gonna happen" (From Spencer's email to Mom, 5/11/10)

"(being in the MTC longer) would kinda suck cuz Elder Ford and I have grown quite accustomed to not having roommates and chances are high we'll get some if we're here much longer. We haven't had roommates for like 4 weeks - Ever since Su-A-filo & Mock left. Its been amazing." (Spencer's letter to me received 5/13/10)

We don't know for sure how long it will take for him to get his visa, but so far I think its safe to guess he will be spending at least a couple more weeks in the MTC - he sounds like he's ready to get out into the field now, but I'm sure he'll get there when he's supposed to.

"Well, I can't lie... I'm about ready to leave this place. My ability to focus never quite came, but this week its been unmatched. I've been studying like a nursing student cuz I kinda realized "holy cow! I'm gonna be dropped in the middle of Mexico soon where I have to know Spanish or I'll die! Its a pretty good motivator... It'll be nice to actually be teaching people who care and need the lessons instead of some bored Mexican who has nothing better to do than volunteer to be taught by a bunch of gringo noobs. I'm sure its hilarious for them." (from Spencer's letter to Cory received 5/13/10)

So kind of a bummer, but I think mom is kind of relieved to know that he'll be safe and sound in the states a little longer - even though he's probably going a little stir crazy holed up in the MTC! He's a pretty good sport though.
I'll keep y'all posted on his status and as soon as he gets his visa 'n all I will be sure to write about it. Check back soon!