¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Church Face Off (Nov21-27)

Happy holidays everyone!
How's it going?? Sorry for not writing on Monday. We only went to the
computer for a little bit and I ended up spending all the 30 minutes
trying to copy music and stuff I have onto a disc for my companion.
The computer was Super crappy.
So little by little I've been typing this up on my iPod in my spare
moments this past week so that I could have it ready to send whenever
I got a chance to connect to the Internet. Pretty clever eh? I thought
so.

So this past week was pretty fun. All my fondly remembered experiences
with choir performances and using sound equipment and stuff were
brought back on Sunday during our mission choir performance on Sunday
in a park called "llano." that's funny because "llano" sounds like "ya
no" which in English basically means "not anymore." ...fun fact for
ya.
But ya it was really fun getting to work with sound equipment and
being able to sing again. My voice is kinda weak and got pretty
thrashed in the rehearsals but I was still able to sing in my quintet
:D it went pretty well. I'm going to try to attach a recording of the
quintet in this email so you can get an idea of what it sounded like.

So why the funky title? Turns out the place where we sang was right
smack in front of a catholic cathedral! Haha. Pretty much the most
ironic place for a choir of Mormon missionaries to perform. What's
even more funny is that they held a mass service while we were
performing and the priest or father or whatever they call him came out
in his fancy robes to give us dirty looks :) they were even ringing
the super loud bell. Quite humorous. It wasn't our plan to mess with
them; it just turns out that there was the only place in the park that
had steps that we could use as risers. It was really fun though and
turned out to be pretty cool. We're going to do it again this week so
it should be even better!
Well, other than that I'm doing great! It's cold here at night now. It
gets down to the 40's at night which is quite brisk for me having come
from the coast just recently. I sleep nice and cozy with my under
armor and two big blankets haha. The truth is that I'm loving the
weather. It makes it feel more like its really holiday time!
Oh btw Peterson family, your packages came today!!! I opened them but
I'm going to save the wrapped stuff for Christmas day! THANK YOU!!!
You Gus rock. The little treats in there saved my life today because I
was suuuper hungry.
Oh and before I finish here I just want to give a huge shout out to my
cousin Jacob because he's headed out on his mission!!! Good job man.
You're going to rock it out there! :D

Alright, that's all for this week. As always you guys are the best.
Thank you so much for your love and support.

Love,
-Elder Spencer Henze