¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Monday, January 16, 2012

2 Months!


Hey!
sorry for not writing last week! The time escaped me. But don't worry!
things are going well. I don't remember much about last week... after
a few days the past just all looks like one giant blur!
This past week though we did divisions with some of the District
Leaders in the zone. That went pretty well I guess. haha they were
pretty dead days for some reason in both areas. the first day i went
with Elder Graves and we spent the morning in the doctor's office
getting his ingrown tonail cut out. I got to sit there and watch the
process :D I had to convince the nurse to let me in. I told her "I
need to go in so that I can translate for him because he just got here
and might not be able to communicate with the doctor. the nurse
grumbled "bueno." and I got in :) I'm sneaky. I recorded the procedure
too for those of you that will be around me after the mission you can
watch it if you want :) ...poor guy. After that Graves couldn't walk
on his foot very well. The doctor told him to stay off it but he
really wanted to work so we went to look for a couple investigators
and did a couple contacts but his toe started to hurt him pretty bad
so I called it a day and we went home around 6. he's doing well now
though.

The next time we did divisions with another DL and I chose to go with
the Jr. Comp again because he was strugging a lot with the language
and some spiritual things too. Those divisions were way cool becuase I
was able to help him out quite a bit which made me feel really good. I
was kinda worried I wouldn't know what to say to help him to feel
better but as always the spirit helped me out. He had some doubts
about prayer so i taught him a bit about how prayer works and used
Ether 2 and 3 to help explain the process. There's a ton to learn from
those two short chapters of the Book fo Mormon where the brother of
Jared is seeking the lord's help in building the barges and getting
him and his family and their friends from babylon to the american
continent. Its quite the story. I reccommend it if you haven't read it
in a while.
so that was awesome. along with that we had a ballin lesson with
Miguel. He's not progressing much but we busted out the Fuahhh with
him. If he doesn't progress after that lesson I think we're going to
have to leave him.

We got a few references this week! We're still looking for one who
lives on a very confussing street but apparently he's a sure bet and
has already expressed the desire to be baptized.
We also had a super spiritual lesson with a recent convert (now
inactive :/) and her non-member daughter about the sabbath day. The
spirit totally guided that lesson like a railroad track guides a dang
train! our original plan was to watch the Joseph Smith movie with them
to go along with the lesson about the BOM that we gave the last time
hoping to rekindle and inite testimonies. well, turns out that they
didn't have the stuff they needed to be able to play the DVD even
though they told us they did so we had to come up with a lesson on the
fly. My companion and I started flipping through the scriptures
waiting for inspiration. We randomly came to Alma 32 and decided to
talk about faith. We didn't know why because it seemed kinda off the
wall but we just went with the impression. After reading just the very
first verse of the analogy (verse 21 which is where we started) the
non-member daughter started going off about how she has had lots of
blessings that lead her to believe firmly that God exists. this gave
me a perfect opportunity to share John 14:15 and talk about how if she
would thank God for the blessings he's given her by keeping the
commandments that he would give her many more. That lead smoothly into
going over the commandments and focusing on keeping the sabath day
holy which was a much more relavent and needed teaching. The rest of
the lesson was purely awesome. ...the most powerful one i've taught in
a long time. I really hope they take it to heart and come to church
next week...

oh one other thing. You all should make a mormon.org profile! its
something the mission is now intituting a lot in the work. They had
all of us missionaries make one and explore the site. it's really cool
and a super powerful way to share your testimony with lots of people
with almost zero effort! I mentioned that in the talk I gave yesterday
in sacrament meeting about how the members could start involving
themselves a little more in the work. The church is really doing a
good job of utilizing technology to their benefit. its awesome.

well thats about all I can think of to write. Thank you for all of
your love and support! I love you all!!! SEE YOU IN 2 MONTHS!

Love,
-Elder Spencer Henze