¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Monday, November 15, 2010

November 15, 2010

I chose to name this email after the current date because that is a common practice here in Oaxaca. If nobody is creative enough to come up with a name for their establishment they name it after either the date it was established, or a famous date in history, or sometimes article numbers of their constitution. cool huh? haha for instance our street name is Articulo 123. no clue what that article says, but thats the name
sweet

alright well this week was good. pretty slow because my companion is coasting on his awesomeness from baptizing 7 last change and all he wants to do is visit them. the drive to work usually has to come from my end which is slightly difficult to provide all day every day. but we march forward. the people in this area are for the most part friendly but very firm in their Catholicism. we do lots of contacting and they like to give us return appointments for the exact times in which they will be gone. I´m receiving many lessons in patience. I´m actually pretty used to that happening with contacts but its especially lame here because we don´t have many options for transportation here. we have to walk everywhere and the area is absolutely huge. I would guess 5 miles in length or more. my shoes are holding up well but man does it feel good at the end of the day to take a break. It´s a little frustrating to expend so much energy in the hot sun day after day and have so little success but we just have to keep faith that we´ll have success if we keep going.

so this period of time seems to be passing ridiculously slow I think because the seasons have remained practically the same. the normal daily weather here is about 80 something degrees in the day time with very strong sun and reasonable temperatures in the night time. randomly it gets down to like 40 in the night but lately no. don´t worry though I´ve got everything I need to keep warm. I scored 3 mexi blankets for like $8 and have sweaters and underarmor. I stay very comfortable :)

the water is still pretty ugly and causing me to lose hair, but its ok. I can draw it straight from the systern for things if I need it to be more clean. still not great, but better.
k well, again, super short on time. I send my love!

love,
Elder Spencer Henze

pictures:
the first is our new christmas tree we scored from the field in front of the house.
the second is me and my airplane. sweet.