¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Transfers!!

Hey Hey Hey, its me!

well my last week in the ward/area called Violetas has officially come to a close. I bit of a disappointing close, but not too bad. The beginning of the week was filled with contacting and teaching trying to finish the change off strong and the end was well, here´s what happened.

so we had an appointment set with Irma´s friend that she brought to church the sunday before (10/24) to teach her at the church friday night and Irma was going to come. so we go and Irma shows up and we wait for her friend but she never showed up so we just talked to Irma and during the conversation we asked if she was all ready for the baptism the next day. now here´s a little background of saturday´s activities leading up to this point: spent the morning designing and printing a program for her baptism so it was special, visiting members to ask them if they could participate in the baptism by bearing testimony, sharing messages, and so forth, and visiting a bunch of other members to invite them to the baptism because it was not announced the week before in church. thats about it. now, upon asking this question she replied ¨about that... I´ve decided I want to go home to veracruz this weekend to tell my parents about the baptism so I was hoping we could move it to next week.¨ now yes, telling your parents you´re going to get baptized is a good thing to do and we´d already talked about what she wanted to do about that and she told us she was just going to get baptized and tell her parents later on. I didn´t think this was the best solution, but she´s 21 so she can do what she wants. so we were going off of that reply all week but then the day before the baptism she changed her mind and didn´t tell us until after we had just spent the whole day preparing everything. really it wasnt a big problem to postpone the ´tism a week because she is still going to get baptized, but it kinda sucked for me because I was really excited to be able to be a part of it. she´s way cool and it would have been awesome but of course changes fell between then and the next week so I won´t be able to see it. its all good though. the important thing is that she´s going to get baptized still.

so, here I am in my new area! I spent a good part of the night packing because we were booked with appointments until that night. somehow every time I pack I have 25% more stuff than before. i don´t understand it. luckily i didn´t have to take it far though. My new area is called Antequera and is about 15 minutes away from my last one. still in the city. my new companion´s name is Elder Alcantar and he seems pretty cool so far. he´s another young bugger and he´s quite confident in himself, but thats a good thing if its not taken to an extreme. I feel a bit like I did when I first got to Violetas but i´m sure i´ll get accustomed faster than over there. the house is pretty cool. we´ve got an ity bity front and back yard, the house is 2 stories and 4 of us live there. its in much better condition than the Violetas house. the only problems i´ve noticed so far is 1, the water is terribly disgusting. literally comes out brown. 2, there are no cupboards for my food and pills, and 3, there is no trash can. oh well. its a great place though. I´m pretty excited to see what we can accomplish here. the last change absolutely FLEW by. Each day seemed super long but the weeks passed super fast.

well, thats the update! as always I miss everyone back home and I hope you are doing great! and just in case you were wondering if those basket bikes from Nacho Libre really exist, they do. and yes, they´re common.

until next week....

love
Elder Spencer Henze