¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"Carried Away in the Spirit"

Hola!
Its Monday again! sweet. well, not a ton to report this week as far as progress. Hugo had a doctors appt for his eye during the exact hours of church and was at the doctor every day last week when we tried to visit him so we will hopefully be able to baptize him this week, but we´ll see. then the caballeros, they´re the ones who want to know everything before getting baptized, we just need to help them to feel the spirit more and hope and have faith that they´ll soon want to get baptized. Other than that we´ve been contacting a lot but with no success. my companion really likes to visit his recent converts and teach them all sorts of stuff, but its starting to feel like a bit of a pretext to do nothing. they already know everything we have to teach them and we´re just making up lessons now which is kinda irritating cuz when I talk to him about it he just gets all defensive and gives me this spiel about how he doesn´t want his converts to fall away.

Recently, I had a super cool teaching opportunity. I testified with all my soul in the power of the spirit to the husband of the caballero lady when he was trying to make us look stupid in front of his wife and daughter who are the ones who will most likely get baptized and put doubts about us in their minds. I was able to share some really cool things with him that came to me from the spirit. I was speaking Spanish impressively well too. I´m positive what happened was that the spirit was talking to him through me. It felt like only a couple of other experiences I´ve had so far in the mission. The best way I can think of to describe it is like when Alma said a few times he was ¨carried away by the spirit¨ or something like that. So I guess it was important that I did that. I don´t have time to look up the actual words but hopefully you know what i´m talking about. its so cool. sometimes being a missionary just flat out sucks, but its times like those that I live for here. I can´t really control when the spirit decides to speak through me like that but when It does its kinda like literally being an angel. super cool.

Here's another random experience for ya, yesterday as we were contacting this street, a mototaxi comes flying towards us (dirt road) at like 40 bouncing over all the bumps and stuff then decides it would be hilarious to throw dirt all over us so he swings wide and turns the wheel and hits the brakes in order to fishtail the back end about 3 feet away from us and cover us with dirt. well, he was successful, but then crashed into a big pile of dirt directly afterwards. haha. booyah. We just kept on contacting.

I want to share a spiritual thought with you all cuz i haven´t done that since the MTC. this is something i´ve been sharing with everybody that I can lately. its super simple but important.
in 2 Nephi 9 Nephi does a great job of explaining to us why the atonement is important. The most important thing that has ever occurred in the history of us. a lot of people loose sight or never know what it is exactly that Christ saved us from. I don´t have time to explain it right now but you can find it in 2 Nephi 9 vs. 8 & 9. then it talks about how Christ gave us a way to escape from this terrible fate because of the mercy and pure love that God and his son Jesus Christ have for us. see vs. 10, 11, 12, 13 then more about the specifics of the resurrection in 14 and on. anyways i´m out of time but I hope you all can give this some thought! I love you all! thank you so much for all your support.
love,
Elder Spencer Henze