¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Monday, May 30, 2011

New Change!!

Hey Everybody!
well here I am writing you all again! its the beginning of a new change and some exciting things have happened! first of all they changed my companion. I´m still here in Ocotlan for yet another six weeks. my companion went to the coast (his second change ...lucky!) and they sent the guy who was in the place my companion went to here with me. His name is Elder Martinez and so far he seems pretty cool. Its a different Martinez than the one I trained three changes ago. there's like 8 Martinez´ in the mission. He got here to the mission last change so that makes me his step father which basically means I´m still training! haha. Its cool though so far training has been a pretty good deal for me. They generally are more motivated to work hard which really helps keep me motivated too so we get a lot done. I was pretty sad when they told me they were going to change my last comp. Elder Torres and I got along really well but oh well. that's how it goes in the mission. The good thing though is that they moved me up to be a District Leader :D haha. That should be pretty fun. I´m gonna need the Lord´s help because I don´t really know how to be a real DL but just like the Lord helped me to figure out how to train new missionaries I´m completely confident that he´ll help me out with this new responsibility too as long as I keep faithful to him and do my part like i´ve been doing. Its so cool to be able to confide so much in God. That's definitely one thing I´ve learned to be able to do and appreciate out here on the mission and just like the missionaries in the Book of Mormon with the Lord´s help I know there is nothing I can´t do. What I achieve is basically limited to my will and my faith. Kinda like "the secret" says.
well this week went really well! we managed to score three more baptisms!! woohoo!!!!! :D they were all kids, but basically complete families. the only reason the parents couldn´t get baptized yet is because of marriage reasons. they´re basically members already though. from the first family the mom just needs to find a place to live because the husband doesn´t want to marry her (even though they´ve been together for 10 years and have 4 kids...). However, very slowly he´s coming around too. so its not to say that after some more time and living apart that he can´t still turn himself around and marry her and get baptized. That's my hope but until then they´re going to live separately to complete with the law of chastity. so, whenever it is that she can find a house she too can get baptized! the other family is just arranging things with the state to get married. the dad is already a member and the mom basically too after accepting so well what we have taught her. she just needs to hop in the water so we´re just waiting for that to all pan out. Meanwhile we´ve got a few other families to teach and baptize as well so basically you could say things are going pretty dang well for us out here!! which is a miracle because these 4 baptisms we had this change are the first four baptisms that this branch has had in over a year!!! pretty exciting.
well, that's about all i´ve got to report from this week! its quite a lot actually so i´m satisfied :D haha. I love you all and miss you but want you all to know I´m having a blast out here serving the lord among our lamanite brethren. I´m healthy, happy, and most of all, very hopeful! haha. As always, thank you all for all your love, support and prayers. you´re all awesome!
here's a scripture that has really been impacting for me lately. you all probably already know it but its D&C 82:10. also D&C 130:21
Deep thought: Obedience is the principle upon which the universe functions. upon which the laws of physics and chemistry are based. stemming from the which is EVERYTHING we can physically perceive.
I hope you all have a great week!!!!
love,
Elder Spencer Henze
attached are the pics of the two families with which we are working to complete
and a pic of me teaching english :D