¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Soybeans n' things


Hi again!
Elder Henze here with the latest report of the mish. I´m happy to report that things are still going great! they´ve slowed down just a little bit since the last bit of last change but i´m still enjoying myself quite a bit out here. I still feel like i´m on another planet or something because the seasons here don´t change much. Supposedly its the season of rain already but it hasn´t rained since those last storms I told you about. it´s kind of interesting to be able to talk to the people about why the seasons are changing and why the weather is so unpredictable. It says it pretty clearly in pretty much the whole 26th chapter of Leviticus. It talks about how if the people don´t worship idols and keep the sabbath day holy and basically keep the commandments then everything will function smoothly, but if not, it won´t :D its a good one for the idol worshipers and the people who have long forgotten the sabbath day out here. I don´t know if that's the only reason, but I´m sure it makes a difference.
This week has been good i´ve had some neat experiences. first of all me and my comp are getting along really well. like every comp he´s got his quarks but he´s super respectful and really nice. He also knows how to cook too and cooks for me! haHA! I just help him out with paying for the food and he prepares stuff almost every day. its so great and i´m learning a lot about how to make quick, SUPER cheap, and healthy meals! also he exercises with me in the mornings! you´ve gotta understand, i´ve NEVER had a comp who has done ANY of that before. so i´m quite content and it makes the things about him that bug me much more tolerable. I do my best to help him out where I can too and it looks like this companionship is going to be a strong one. so that's always a HUGE plus :D
On Tuesday night we were at the Branch Family Home Evening that we missionaries host each week and the little boy Jorge of Adriana who just got baptized this last week had a pretty bad stomach infection. he looked terrible and his little belly was swollen up and everything. After the lesson when everyone went outside to play we gave him a blessing. literally, not 2 minutes after we left the room he came out and started playing with us. he has been feeling great ever since.
On Wednesday evening we visited Adriana and the family in their house. It was an odd experience because Adriana started acting really weird and telling us that she had lied to us about how bad Andres was and all that. we played off the weirdness and shared a general message and left feeling very confused. later we found out why...
turns out she was doing that because he was in earshot and had threatened her that if she kept telling us those things about him he was going to hurt her in an attempt to manipulate us into telling her that everything was fine and whatever else.
the rest of the story is really intense and personal for her so I don´t feel like I should share it on here but its sufficient to say she has gone through some MAJOR trials this week. while telling us about them she kind of had a melt down and ran us off. This obviously freaked us out quite a bit and we felt really bad. luckily that same day she chilled out and apologized and things are back to normal now and she´s stayed true to her faith. If you knew exactly what the trial was this would be as impressive to all of you as it has been for me to see.
ONE MORE THING!
this week me and my companion discovered soybeans. Also we have an investigator who sells herbalife which I decided to try because she gave me an insane deal. I am going to try to live off of just those things this week and see what happens. If I succeed I will have found a way to eat healthily for less than $10 a week! booyah.
well my friends and loved ones, that's all for today! thank you for all you do for me. I love you all!!! see you in 9 months and 10 days! :D
love,
Elder Spencer Henze