¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Opening a new zone

(-me and my new comp Elder Mota)


Hey everyone!
How´s it going?? I´m officially writing you from the city of Oaxaca!! Yep that´s right, I got changed again! This is a record guys. I don´t know if you remember but for the first 16 months of my mission I stayed in each area for about 3.5 to 4.5 months. Well just to poit out the interesting change that´s taken place ever since July I´ve only been in each area for one change. one change in tehuantepec, one change in Cosijopí, then just one change in Salina Cruz. Kinda cool but it´s got its ups and downs just like everything.
I´m pretty excited because for once I´m not sweating like a pig and dying of heat!!! I WAS COLD THIS MORNING!!!! I absolutely loved it even though I had to sit there in the bus station for 3 hours in a thin short sleeve shirt. I was greatful.
Anyways!
So the big news for this week is basically what the title of this message says! But i´m going to explain it a little further.
So, remember that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that in the zone leader conference they talked about how they were going to open two new zones and like four new areas? well these two zones are the zone of Amapolas, and the zone Huatulco. turns out I was chosen to open the zone Amapolas! I´ll be training a new ZL too. Booyah!
To my knowledge this is the first time this stake has ever had its own missioin zone assigned solely to the wards that belong to it so its pretty exciting stuff.
I´m pretty excited because I have a special place in my heart for this area of the city because it´s where I started the mission and I already know lots of people and have lots of friends. With a change under my belt of how to do stuff I feel much less apprehensive about the responsability. Mainly due to the intense situation the lord blessed me with this past change of being thrown into being in charge of everything in a rather large zone as ZL 1 without any training and with a comp who had no experience either and us both being entirely new to the area. It was very stressful to say the least but man did I learn a lot and the lord, dispite my myriad of mistakes, blessed us with the third hightest number of baptisms in the whole mission while figuring it all out and reopening an area. He´s so merciful you guys. its incredible.
So ya, my new area is called Dainzuand is what you could call a "rich" area. My new comp is named Elder Mota which is kinda funny because Mota in Spanish is a slang term for marijuana. ...probly gonna hear some jokes about that.
well my dear friends and family that´s about all for now! Overall I´m doing great. Kinda getting a little worn out physically but it´s definitely nothing I can´t handle :) I can´t believe how little time I have left... It´s kinda surreal. Ok, talk to you next week!!!
Love
-Elder Spencer Henze

Pic- me and my comp with the Jovenes (youth) from Morro. They´re the people I´m going to miss the most from the area of Salina Cruz.