¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Culture Shock

"hey family!
sorry i have to reply to you all at the same time but I was so fortunite to get so many emails from you all that im running short on time :(

"so ...heres the update:
this week has been a huge challenge.
ive been pretty stressed out about the language, dealing with culture shock, and the dirtyness of everything has started making me uneasy too. the last couple days i have been pretty sick. It started yesterday (sunday) where my condition D decided to go crazy and I was extremely dehydrated. I finally got some water and that helped but then we went to a members house for dinner and i got it down but the whole time was just feeling way blah. when we got home after that it was about 5 and i just laid down and woke up around 8. I decided to start the clensing process and started downing water. it would exit very rapidly. after an hour of that I threw up the dinner and felt much better for about a half hour then went to bed.

"all through the night I was frequently getting up to drain myself and this morning I just felt nasty. I didnt throw up again but almost. after waiting for my companion to take all morning getting ready we went over to the district leaders house (Elder Baert) and we did splits which was nice cuz my comp could care less that I was sick. so we (the district leader and I) went and got me some electrolyte drinks and stuff to help me with my dehydration cuz water would just drop through me in less than a minute and he took me over to a members house where a sister gave me some special drink stuff and after I felt like I could hold it down she made me some food. so I feel a lot better now but I still feel pretty weak. anyways, so thats been my last couple days along with being insanely tired all the time. sorry this report is a bit depressing but thats what has been going on.

"earlier in the week we had a sleepover at the DLs house cuz there was a youth conference in the morning and they wanted to travel together so that was fun except I didnt have a bed so I slept on a blanket on the floor with the roaches and ants and stuff. booyah. the youth conference was cool though. we went with a group of youth (about 6) and were the leaders and we visited an inactive family and the lady was way touched. she was crying and all. it was cool.

"we have a baptism scheduled for the 30th and a couple other investigators. so thats pretty neat!
a lot of people have been complementing me on my accent and stuff which is way encouraging. I just need some more vocab and grammer work but its slowly coming.
my companion is named Elder Castellanos and hes 18 years old. hes fun but im not a huge fan of some of the things he does when he teaches. he doesnt really listen to the people and is slightly arrogant. he says the same things to a lot of the people even when its not really applicable. overall though hes a good comp. its just kind of tough for me when I can tell the people just need to feel cared about and hes just concerned about looking good. i dont know.
k well, im way out of time but i love you all and look forward to talking to you next week!
love
-Elder Spencer Henze"