¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

First Glimpse of Life in Oaxaca

Hey there everyone! Sorry I haven't posted sooner - Cory & I have been out of town, camping w/ no internet so I really wanted to, but just couldn't.
So, Spencer made it to Oaxaca, Mexico safely, and was only delayed between flights a few hours (I believe). What's important is that he's finally out in his mission-field!!
I haven't heard much yet, since I've been away & out of touch with him for a little while, but I have a snippet of an email he sent to our mom to share with y'all today.

"so just a sneek peek of whats going on here ...we are reopening this area and its been a bit of a challenge to find everyones houses. weve been searching out members and tracting in between. we walk miles every day and towards the end of the week i was dead. my companion is way way better than my last one but he doesnt speak a word of english. so after a while my head sorta feels like its gonna explode and my level of understanding goes way down as well as my ability to communicate while my mind melts down and reboots. somehow though I make it through each day and it always turns out to be a good day and I always end up happy somehow. im not telling you any of this to complain of to make you worry cuz im doing great. i just want to be honest and share with you how the lord is working miracles in my life every day guiding us to where we need to go when we have instructions such as :the white house on andador 3 in volcanes. or something like that and every time we ask someone they point us in a different direction. we always end up where we need to be. even when i had pretty massive diarrhea i somehow made it to the bathroom even though ours in our house was the only one we had access to for a few days. also whenever I start to feel down something happens to boost my spirits and renew my hope and i know those things come from the Lord too. Im glad to be here but its really hard sometimes. very rewarding though. well theres a ton more to tell but no more time. youll be glad to know that im in a very safe area. the mail is safe too so send whatever you want. I love you and miss you and tell the fam I say hi and love and miss them and not to worry about me cuz im doing great :) bye!" - Elder Henze