¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Monday, October 4, 2010

I saved my comp's life that day...

hello again everyone!

let me just start off by saying for those of you who might be wondering about how all the flooding and stuff has impacted me, rest easy. a lot of the coast flooded badly and some parts of the city less than 10 miles away from me but my area has been pretty safe and normal. i´ve been very lucky.

so anyways this week has been pretty slow, but good. we officially have two people who are progressing. i´m not sure whats in the air keeping the other slew of people from doing extremely simple tasks are important to their eternal salvation, but i guess its just a lot harder than it seems. haha i dunno. we contacted a bunch this week and picked up a couple new potentials but nothing super promising.
Elder Tolentino tells me this is the most difficult area he´s been in and he´s now got more than a year so I guess I have only up to go from here! we´ve been working hard though and becoming more unified. its been good.

I´m finding that each companion I have has just a few little things that drive me crazy kinda like almost every past girl i´ve dated (except for the one who might be reading this right now of course :) ) haha but just like them there's always much more good than bad and if I just focus on the good and ask for help from the lord to have patience and let those little things that bug me just roll off, everything is good and we can move on and strengthen.

this has been a great opportunity to learn how to develop relationships with people. I always had a little fear that I would never find a wife that didn´t have any of those little things that bugged me, and i´m pretty sure that's true because that's not logical to expect, but what gives me hope is that I can overcome them with her just like i´m overcoming them with my companions. only it should be easier with her because I´ll have more deep love for her and stuff.

haha well anyway, conference! conference was legit I got to watch it in English! that was a score. i was kinda worried i might not get as much out of it if I had to watch in Spanish but there were enough of us Americans and random students there and stuff that they opened another room for the English people. the people here don´t have satellite tv or radios that get conference so they have to go to the stake center to watch it. so naturally the only well attended session was Sunday morning. haha. a lot of people think its just the same thing repeated 5 times so they don´t even know they´re missing anything. be grateful my friends that you are 50 years ahead of Oaxaca Mexico.

Oh another cool tidbit, while watching conference I was sitting next to Elder Forrest. he´s also my district leader. I don´t know if you remember, but last conference in April one of the talks talked about him and his story about having his dad die... Neil L. Anderson I believe. so that was cool.

also I had the unique opportunity to perform the life saving maneuver called the Heimlich maneuver on my companion the other day. he decided to breathe in some water and started choking hardcore and motioning to me that he couldn´t breathe and started panicking so I went up behind him on a very busy road and performed the Heimlich. He resumed breathing and after a 10 minute break or so everything was back to normal. that doesn´t happen every day! well there´s a lot more to tell you but i´m out of time. I love you all and will talk to you next week! read your scriptures and pray. keep your tree strong (see Alma 32)

love,
E. Spencer Henze