Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Monday, July 18, 2011

A Week in Tehua

Its me again!
Things are going well here. I´m really liking the new area. Its got pretty much everything I was wanting that the last area didn´t have as far as the work goes :D we have a super helpful bishop who´s got a lot of experience with missionary work and he´s already given us 2 super awesome references! this week we received 5 references!!! we also have already put 2 baptismal dates and its just barely week 2!! that's quite awesome. i´m pretty excited about it. The members are chill and like us a lot and are willing to help, we have leaders for the different organizations, we have more than 3 active families (which is pretty much all we had in Ocotlán), we have a full on chapel, we have pretty much everything! the area is beautiful and lush with vegetation. I'm liking it a lot out here. my companion is cool too. he´s super chill and teaches really well so i get to teach lessons the way there were meant to be! I don´t have to teach everything anymore. its quite nice :)
the only things about it are that aren´t awesome is number one the heat!!! I don´t know what the humidity is here, but its insane! to add to that it literally rained all week pretty much without stopping. The clothes that got wet just barely dried today completely because the sun came out. a few of my shirts and a tie and one pair of pants though hung out to dry under a roof started growing mold. There was literally nothing I could do. Even my guitar case that was inside started growing mold. the roof was dripping water everywhere and even the walls were like... sweating. the house was soaked through. Luckily the sun came out today and gave us some relief. I got to really test the metal of the military boots I brought with me and i´m happy to report that they worked AWESOMELY!!!! water only got in once and just a little bit because there was a current in the street/river and a little came in over the top but the gore-tex took care of that and pushed all the moisture out :) booyah.
I luckily inherited Elder Baert´s super awesome hammock when he left so we got that hanging up and that's where I started sleeping to combat the heat and humidity at night. it works pretty well and is quite comfortable!
as for how I get stuff done without running water, the way is basically the way the olden days people did it and the way that many here in oaxaca still do is that we have a small pool of water that basically acts as a well we draw out of and from the buckets we do everything. I bathe myself by dumping water on myself from buckets. we wash the dishes, our hands, and flush the toilet by a similar manner. with water from buckets. its not very convenient, but now I know how to do it :)
we still don´t have the stuff we need to cook or clean in the house... so i´m gonna keep bugging the mission about that tomorrow because they were supposed to get back to me about that today but I haven´t heard anything. bozos.
well that's about all for today!! i´ll have to tell you the cool story about an investigator we found this week (one of the ones that now has a baptismal date) cuz its quite cool but i have no time right now. I love you all!!! thanks for all you´ve been doing to support me :)
Elder Spencer Henze
what it was like walking around this week: