¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Last Change!

Hey guys!
So the changes are in and it turns out I'm going to be staying here in Dainzu with the same comp Elder Mota! We're getting five new missionaries in the zone and we got rid of one of the problem missionaries so it's looking like we've got a good crew to work with here for the last few weeks of my mission. I'm pretty excited. We're planning out a cool zone activity to do to get to know each other on either Wednesday or Friday. I'm thinking we might get to go to the temple again on thursday as part of the zone leader council thing we do at the beginning of the month so this week is going to be sick.
Today we've pretty much been in the bus station all day. We've been here since 9:00 am. It's currently 5:45 and the dude we're waiting for still hasn't shown up. He was supposed to be here at 5:30 but it's all good. It's nice to just sit and not think about anything for a little while. Sometimes I feel like my head spins with all the stuff there is to think about all the time. It's way cool though don't get me wrong.
Today Sugey, one of my converts from Ocotlán came to the bus station to say bye to a missionary that was leaving and I saw her! She's goin' strong still! It made me happy.
So some cool stuff happened this week! First of all we had a return appointment with a contact we did a while ago that was gong to be at 6:00 on Tuesday. So we come strollin' up at around 5:55 and we see a woman about the age of the lady we were going to visit with a kid about the age of her kid scurry out of the spot that was pretty much exactly where I remember her house being. When she checked to see if the coast was clear and saw us in the street they made a break for it. I thought to myself, "...nice."
so when we got up to the house we knocked on her door and interestingly enough... nobody answered.
We decided to wait for her to come back just to see what would happen. Well, sure enough, she came back in just about the amount of time it would take for someone you don't want to see to realize you're not home and be long gone. When she came around the corner and saw us sitting outside her house her pride was the only thing keeping her from turning around and running away. She, having no other option, let us in and we taught about the plan of salvation. It went pretty well actually and even though it clearly was not opportune, my companion robotically tried to put the baptismal date with her after she accepted the soft invitation I gave her (if you come to know that this is true will you be baptized?). ...that didn't go very well. But it was a funny experience all around. We're going to see if we can teach her again tomorrow.
Also this week the richest lady in the ward who recently received an operation was in a lot of pain. On Wednesday we were cruising around pretty bored because all of the appointments had fallen through and we had already knocked a lot of doors so we decided to see how their family was doing with the Book of Mormon activity we're doing in the ward. When we arrive we found the sister in so much pain that her character had changed somewhat. She asked us for a blessing so I gave her one and she said that within minutes she felt normal. She was so impacted by the experience that she got up on Sunday and bore her testimony about the power of the priesthood.
Also while cruising to the food appointment on Friday we came across a recently dropped wallet. Woman's style. We looked around for a panicking woman frantically looking for her wallet, but saw nothing. We decided to pick it up and look for the owner. While looking for some ID we saw that it was full of money and bank cards and thought, "dang... Good thing we found this cuz anyone else around here would have just make off with the goods!" haha. Before going to the lunch appointment we found a business card and made the call. Within a few minutes a very relieved woman in a little red Hyundai Accent pulled up and we turned in the wallet. I see this as a long overdue "pay-it-forward" deal from a long time ago when I left my wallet in an arcade in the mall and someone turned it in without taking anything. We tried contacting her and setting up an appointment but she was kinda scatterbrained and just kept saying random stuff about how she had some Mormon friends and who knows what else. So we just left it at that. I still felt way good. It was a cool experience. Hopefully she'll let the next pair of missionaries in that knock on her door remembering this "good turn." haha I felt like a true eagle scout.
I think that's the majority of the big events. It feels crazy to be so close to being done. I can feel Satan working hard to break my focus now that I'm getting so close to finishing. Most of it doesn't affect me but apparently there are some rumors going around about me in my ward and another ward from the stake that are saddening. I think I know where they came from too and its super ridiculous. Obviously none are true but it makes me feel sad that the very people I am here serving are talking about me like that. It's no big deal though. They'll see that it's garbage as I ignore it and keep working.
Alrighty then, I'm out of here! Thanks to all of you who wrote me today! I love hearing about what's going on with you. Oh, and a special shout out to the Johnson family this week! Thank you! I can't wait :D

BOOYAH!!!

Love,
Elder Spencer Henze