¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Video Project


Greetings!

This is officially the fourth to last weekly email that I will be
writing to you all while on my mission... :D

It's good to hear that everyone is doing so well! I still love getting
your emails and love the fact that you still write me even though I'm
almost home. You've stuck with me to the end!
So some exciting stuff happened this week! First and foremost about
the work. As I might have mentioned before the work has been really
slow lately but this week a couple of cool things happened.

First, a division II soccer player named José Luis showed up to church
on Sunday! Turns out he's here until May to play for Oaxaca's division
II team and has already gone to church 4 times in Veracruz where he's
originally from. This Sunday was his fifth time! We already have an
appointment with him on Thursday and I am way excited to teach him.
He's way pilas and a way cool guy.

Later that same day (yesterday) we went to visit the ward mission
leader to have a correlation meeting and on the way back we were
approaching a guy who when we had passed the first time I felt like I
should talk to but didn't, and this time the feeling came even
stronger. As I was thinking of ways to start a conversation with him
he said hi to us. Not just that but in English! I now had the perfect
excuse to engage in conversation. I shared with him an overview of
the gospel and he seemed really excited to learn more. He said that he
wants to change his life because he was a gangster before and spent
some time in prison in The United States. He's very tattooed and has a
lot of scars from knife fights. His name is noé (Noah) and we are
going to be teaching him this week too. PILAS!

On a more secular note, on Tuesday I got to spend most of the day at
the President's house, eat food that Sister Leyva made us, AND put my
GarageBand skills to work recording a multi-track study help to aid
the members of our little choir in learning their part and being able
to effectively practice the song at home. In just one week we have
dramatically improved. I don't know how much of the improvement is due
to the recordings but I know they helped out everyone who actually
used them. We use them in the practices too and on Wednesday during
the rehearsal a few guys are going to bring their speakers and iPods
and we're going use them by dividing into sectionals to really nail
the parts. It's been a sweet tool.
ALSO, Sister Leyva Asked me how possible it would be to put together a
little slideshow of mission memories to play for everyone after the
conference with Elder Richard G. Scott on Saturday. I was delighted to
inform her that it would be quite simple using iMovie and that I could
have it done in just a couple of hours. Well, after the rehearsal today
we took advantage of today being P-Day to bust out  the majority of
the slideshow. Everything is ready except for some pictures we still
need to throw in that we didn't have yet. Sister Leyva was thrilled to
hear that it would be something that we could easily post on the
mission's Facebook page called "Tierra de Milagros" so I'm pretty sure
you'll be able to see it soon!
Well my loved ones, that's about all for today. Talk to you soon!

-ME!

Pics:
1. found some ancient Mayan ruins...
2. The surprise I found on my toothbrush two nights ago
3. The mini choir
4. Eatin' at president's house