¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Richard G. Scott


Hi!
Man the time really is flying by now. I seriously can't believe it is Monday again already. I'm almost halfway through my last change! Quite loco.
This week was pretty slow as far as the work goes because of some stuff the offices gave us to do. The other reason is pretty cool actually. Let me tell you about it :D
 
So tuesday I was running mail and stuff to the district leaders with my companion and while with one of them I receive a phone call...
It was the mission president's wife. She informed me that she was putting together a chior that would sing for Elder Richard G. Scott that is coming on the 3rd of March and that she would like me to participate! Not only that but she told me that I was the very first person she thought to call to invite to sing and help her get it set up. I obviously accepted enthusiastically :) Since then I have been helping her with the technological aspect of the venture by finding and downloading a recording of the exact song (in spanish and all because it originally comes in english) and distributing it to the other Elders who will be participating in the choir to help them to be able to learn their parts faster seeing as how we will only have 4 more practices until showtime.
Also to further help with this I am working with the Hna. Leyva (president's wife) to produce a recording (using garageband--booyah for mac) for each part that has their part specifically played on the piano against the exact background music that we will be singing with in the real thing to help them really nail their parts. I'm way pumped about this because usually for lack of practice these things turn out horribly so we're going to extra lengths to make sure this is legit for Elder Scott. We'll be finishing up the recording hopefully tomorrow so I'll let you know how that goes later on.
Also once we get it about dialed in I'll send you a recording.
 
Another cool experience from this week is that also that same day shortly after receiving the invite for the choir we were with the District Leader of Fortín when I saw a dude who we had seen a few times before in the busses selling mini sewing kits and sissors. This time, however, he was not on the bus. He was on approach to the corner where we were standing. I didn't think much of it until his proxemity started to alarm me to the point where I realized that he was intending to talk to us. This is not normal so I, now curious as to what the interchange was going to be like, faced him and greeted him. He greeted me very warmly and respectfully dispite his tattered clothing and unfortuante looking condition. I asked him how he was doing and he responded that he was doing great and without much delay straightway asked us if we might have a Book of Mormon that we could give him. This was even less normal than having someone approach us to talk to us in the street (that's not drunk) so you can immagine my surprize. Analyzing what his motives might be with the book, I asked him while Elder Habecker slowly lowered his backpack to take out the book,  if he had ever read from it. He with more enthusiasm than I have seen from 90% of the members that I have known in my entire mission that he had and that it was marvellous but that he had lost the book in his move. I asked him if he believed that the book was truly the word of God and he responded that he knew that every word was inspired and that there are many teachings for us in it. He testified so powerfully of the book that I was left almost speachless... Usually it's our job to testify of the book and seeing as how this had never happened to me before in the past, I was a little unsure of how to react. I did my best to tell him how awesome that was that he knew that and that I also knew that to be true. We gave him the book and took down his information. Unfortunately he does not live in our area so we passed the reference to the offices to give to whoever was in the correct area. Whoever they are they've got themselves an awesome investigator. So that was pretty cool. Just wanted to share that with you because it's the first time anything like that has ever happened to me in my entire mission.
 
Alrighty well, thats the update! Thanks for stickin' with me 'till the end!
 
Love,
E. Spencer Henze