¡bienvenido!

Spencer Michael Henze served a 2 year, full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the people of Oaxaca, Mexico (pronounced wa-ha-ka). This is the week-by-week account of his service. Elder Henze returned with honor March 21, 2012.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hideous Sweater

howdy!
I remembered that word the other day and started teaching it to Mexicans this week. startin´ trends y´all.
this week has been pretty good I guess. pretty slow up until Saturday. we basically had ALL of our appointments fall through until Saturday and ended up wasting a lot of time walking from appt to appt then realizing they had fallen through and contacting. the people always seem to be more rude when I´m irritated. maybe its just me but I think you guys would be appalled at the rudeness of the people here a lot of the time. its interesting. I´m mostly over it though. and there are SOME people out there who are super nice and humble and they make it all worth it.

on a lighter note we taught the familia Matadamas again this Saturday and they are progressing nicely! they read 3 Nefi 11 and the Dad practically had it memorized! that's never happened before in my whole mission. I was blown away! they didn´t come to church because the wife doesn´t feel comfortable yet going even though we explained how it would be super well and did our best to sell it to her by promising her blessings and stuff. oh well. in time i´m sure they´ll go. Also we started teaching two other people who are super Pilas (excited, pumped). their names are Erika and Dominga. They´re both basically golden.

So today me and my comp took a field trip to El Centro and toured some of the huge catholic cathedrals here. they´re insanely decorated with intricate designs and TONS of gold. but I felt creeped out in there. it was cool to see though. I scored a couple new little items like a leather change pouch (essential) some of the best quesillo (basically string cheese they put on everything here), and one of those hideous wool pullovers. its blue white and black though so its a little less hideous than normal. I also while I was there tasted goat meat. its awesome if you like gristle. so ya, it´s been a super awesome P-Day. this week looks like it should be better than the last one. we´re just gonna keep pluggin away at it and see what happens.
I hope all is well over there for you all! I love you and miss you as always!

booyah, well until next time my Queridos!
love,
Elder Spencer Henze

my new hideous sweater

the creepy cathedral

The McKing (yesssss) *below*

a place called Hacienda Blanca
that was a huge house about 100 years ago and owned this part of the city (below)
the washing machine we made